Monday, October 4, 2010

diabetes walk :: personal story

both my mom & brother have diabetes.  my mom had gestational diabetes during her 3rd pregnancy, and it didn't go away after my sister was born.  my brother was diagnosed when he was in grade school.  both have to monitor their blood sugar levels and give themselves shots of insulin thru-out each day.  everyday.

this seemed overwhelmingly tragic when i was a child.  i hurt so bad watching these people i love have to hurt themselves so they can stay healthy.  plus, even though both are responsible with the maintenance that this disease requires, their blood sugar can plummet quickly and the results are threatening.  the long-term affects of diabetes can take a toll on their bodies as well.

"the monster" hates shots.  to help him be brave each time we go to the doctor, i talk with him about raRa and uncle alex.  after a while he began to ask when it will stop.  never, my son.

each fall, i raise money that goes to research to find a cure for diabetes.  this year, my little family came along with me and we enjoyed a lovely walk together.  we bonded as a family and we made a small increase in the funds for research.  chances are, my mom won't see a cure in her lifetime.  but my brother might.  and perhaps, my son will...  and then, the answer to his question will be different.






1 comment: