Monday, December 14, 2009

memory tree

at a dinner party the other night, friends and i got into a discussion about our christmas trees.  i really enjoy hearing people's stories about where they got their tree, who in the family picked it out, and what favorite ornaments each has.  every ornament has a story of course.  all of this got me thinking about my very first tree in my very first apartment... 

i studied in chicago to complete my master's.  i lived in this great apartment on ashland ave. with my best friend "urragen".  we had no money of course, but my dad had bought me this 3 ' fake tree and i decorated the hell out of it.  with baby's breath and ribbon.  we had no ornaments.  i stuck it up on a table and put in right in front of the window.  i made my dog pose for pictures in front of it. 

after chicago, when i bought my first house, i decided i was adult enough to have a big tree.  this was a "theme" tree.  every ornament on it was department 56.  the tree itself was hardly more than a branch, but it was "whimsical" and it matched my new home perfectly. 

now.  now, this year, the "whimsical" tree has been demoted to our screened in porch and replaced with a gigantic cut tree.  it's filled with ornaments that my mother handed down to me and new ones my son has made.  i let "the monster" and "psuedo hubby" hang snowman lights on it.  there is no theme.  unless "the tackier, the better" is a theme.  i love it though.  as i sit on my couch and look at it, i'm filled with such a warm feeling of memory and home.  there are soooo many stories on that tree. 

it's funny how as life changes, your christmas tree does too.



a few of my favorite ornaments that i've had most my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment